Monday, December 26, 2011

Teaching Writing to High School Students, Frank McCourt Style


I just finished reading Frank McCourt’s Teacher Man. McCourt not only has wonderful stories to tell, but he is able to do so without using all the similes and metaphors that other authors often overuse.
The last section of the book is titled “Coming Alive in Room 205.” These last 75 pages chronicle McCourt’s years teaching creative writing at the famed Stuyvesant High School. I strongly recommend that high school writing teachers read this part of the book, even if that is the only part that is consumed. More than anything, it presents the author’s unconventional philosophical approach to teaching writing. It was also helpful to me as I gather my own material for future stories. McCourt especially helps writers to see the rich sources of material that are around them every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment