Thursday, July 30, 2015

A New Blog for a New Age















A month ago I turned 70. I realize that many people enter a period of decline at this age. Even if I do well, many of my friends will not. Everything I read about the aging process is doom and gloom, painting the worst possible scenarios that older people must endure. I do not see an established vehicle for individuals to openly discuss what it is like to move through the final decades of life. I imagine that, just like any time period, there are positives and negatives.

I have many thoughts about this stage of being, yet think it unwise to talk too much about the subject to my friends and relatives. I am convinced those are not conversations they want to hear over and over again. My solution has been to start a blog about aging after 70. The blog has been up and running since just before my birthday.

The idea for the blog came to me after reading the book Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Americanah is about a Nigerian who comes to the United States. Among other things, she writes an anonymous blog about the interactions of our African-American population with Caucasians—all from a Nigerian’s point-of-view. There are two things I liked about the character’s blog: the anonymity and the fact that she was brutally honest about her observations.

My new blog is also anonymous. I have told those who are close to me that the blog is up and running, but I have told no one how to find it. While they know the general subject manner, they do not know the title or the platform I am using. The blog is written under a pseudonym, which is quite liberating. I am free to chronicle my aging experience without worrying about embarrassing others or myself. I also want to be brutally honest in a way that would not be comfortable if people knew I was the author. I have not been able to find anything else on the Internet with the approach I have chosen. My intent is to describe what it’s like to age physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Friends have asked, “Why not just journal in private?” I want to give others the opportunity to see what goes through the head of at least one aging individual. I am also hoping that, in time, the blog will start a discussion amongst people, validate their own feelings and provide better understanding for those who are younger.

I wonder if you’ll be able to find my blog with the hints I have provided. Of course, if you do, I will deny that I am the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment