Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Writing Tips: The Value of Accountability












 
I’ve spent decades writing vignettes and accumulating lists of story ideas, possible titles, themes, etc. I write because I love to write. Unfortunately, I never seem to get my act together to put my notes into a final product.

Years ago, Joel Macintosh asked if I would write a book for Prufrock Press based on my weekly blog. He suggested a very general outline and let me loose. Once I was assigned an editor, I was given deadlines. The deadlines motivated me to plow full-force into the project and get it done.

Since writing that book, I have had no deadlines and have been accountable only to myself. It has not worked well. I have continued to write, but have not had a clear focus. I have written randomly, pondering if I should concentrate on this project or that project, fiction or non-fiction.

A few weeks ago, I had a house full of company. These were all long-term, good friends. On one of our walks, I talked with Jeff, reiterating my love of writing, but my frustration with lack of purpose. He encouraged me and recognized that I need a real person to whom I report. Jeff agreed to be that person. At once, I was motivated.

I have decided to start with a memoir of sorts, based on growing up at our family cabin/vacation home in a remote area of northeastern Minnesota. After asking for my travel schedule, Jeff assigned my first two deadlines:
·         April 15—Submit a rough plan/outline with chapter titles and approximate due dates for each.
·         May 15—A first draft of a chapter of my choosing.

Since my “assignment,” I have traveled quite a bit, but I have also been very busy with this writing project. I have written in airports, on airplanes, and during downtime on my travels. I am ready to “hand in” my first assignment in a couple days, and I am well on my way to completing my assignment for my second due date.

In this memoir, I am grouping events, not chronologically, but by general subject matter. This is not a story about a dysfunctional family, but one of adventure and fun family events that are unique. So far, I am enjoying the process of reminiscing.

Primarily, I want to write this for my grown sons. While they have heard the stories many times, I feel it is important to put them in written form so they will be available long after I am gone. I wish I had such a legacy from my parents. While I am writing the memoir primarily for my kids, I hope to polish it for general publication.

Deadlines are what I needed, along with someone willing to be a taskmaster. (I mean that in the best sense.) Perhaps you have the same need. I wish you luck and would love to hear your experiences with such a structure. You can relate those experiences either by commenting here or writing me personally at carol@bycarolfertig.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment